It's been nearly a year in the planning. In fact, I began planning this trip before I even had the motorcycle I planned on making the trip on. So with one week to go before the trip begins, I thought I would start this blog off with a look back at how we got to this point.
In August of 2008, I was approached with an idea of going out to Sturgis for the 2009 rally. There was a group from my Southern Cruisers Riding Club (SCRC) looking to make the trip. Well I've been chomping at the bit to travel out west via motorcycle and I jumped at the possibility.
As is typical of me, I started researching the destination. I had never really looked very closely at the area around Sturgis, SD. I knew Mt. Rushmore was there but that was about it. Well, after a bit of research I soon discovered all the sites and roads that the area had to offer. I also discovered just how close Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons were to Sturgis (about 500 miles). I was in. I knew right then that we would be making this trip. The trip however immediately took on a different destination. I wanted to ride out to see the area and not so much to go to Sturgis. There is so much to see (Mt. Rushmore, Devils Tower, the Badlands, Minuteman Missile historic site, the Black Hills, Yellowstone, Grand Tetons, Custer park, Crazy Horse memorial).
Not wanting to “slab it” (ride the interstate the whole way), I found a book that identified 100 of the “most scenic drives” in America and began charting the ride, which I now was calling our Yellowstone trip. I attempted to connect as many of these scenic drives on the trip out and back as well as include them in our day rides while in South Dakota and Yellowstone.
After tinkering with the routes for nearly 9 months, I was done. We had found nice lodging in Hot Springs, SD and Yellowstone and I had charted out lodging locations for our “travel” days.
Trip Statistics:
17 days
19 states
6,300 miles
5 National Parks
2 National Monuments
1 National Historic Site
We were fortunate enough to have some friends of our want to come along on the trip with us, Tom and Julie. After teasing Tom with the routes I had put together, he was unable to resist the temptation and he and Julie were on board. I think being able to share the trip with Tom and Julie will make the trip that much better. We are all VERY excited to be going.
Next post I’ll discuss some of the items we’ll be using/bringing for this trip. This of course is a subject of much controversy as the ladies atempt to bring a fully equiped bathroom with them. :-)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Rob:
ReplyDeleteAwesome plans! I found this link through our SCRC and am really enjoying reading. Keep up the blogs as I look forward to reading these every day. I envy you guys and am very jealous! You and Tom keep the shinny side up and your knees in the breeze!
VTX Jerry